Meta catalog ads are a great way to showcase your products to potential customers however, if your item IDs are not properly matched, you may be missing out on valuable insights and opportunities.
Item ID pixel matching is the process of ensuring that the item IDs in your Meta product catalog match the item IDs as sent by Meta pixel installed on your website.
This is crucial since it allows Meta to accurately track what items your website visitors are interacting with and in return enables you to remind them about those items when browsing through the Meta ecosystem thus improving the performance of your catalog campaigns.
When item IDs are not properly matched, Meta may not be able to track the visits and sales of your products, which can lead to inaccurate reporting and lost ad spend as well as a low pixel matching rate.
There are a few things you can do to improve your item ID pixel matching:
1) Make sure to implement required events such as ViewContent, AddToCart, and Purchase.
2) Make sure that the item IDs in your Meta product catalog are unique and consistent and are matching with your content_id as passed by pixel.
3) Make sure your content_type matches up:
- use product_group if you communicate parent IDs and want to match with item_group_id in your feed
- use product, if you communicate variant IDs - content_id should match with your item ID in the feed.
4) Use the Facebook Pixel Helper to verify that your item IDs are being properly matched.
By following these tips, you can improve your item ID pixel matching and get the most out of your Facebook and Instagram catalogs and relevant marketing campaigns.